Christine - Trained Doula

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Letterboxing Addictions


Many years ago I came across the concept of Letterboxing. Since I LOVE walking and the outdoors, I thought this would be a good hobby to get me out and moving. I can't quite explain why reading clues and looking for a "box" captures my interest and passion but all I know is I can't go any place new with out thinking of how to work in a box hunt or two.
When I first introduced this to my family via www.letterboxing.org it was meet with a "here we go again, one of mom's crazy ideas". That was over five years ago. Surprisingly, my most avid boxer is James, Doug prefers to drive me to the location but will venture out into the "field" on occasion. Yesterday was one of those days. My job took me to Syracuse so we stopped by a North Syracuse school that has this magnificent forest near the sports fields. Nothing quite like a stroll through newly fallen leaves.
Besides the hunt, making books and carving stamps are a relaxing way to spend a winter evening when the snow keeps me inside. Lately, I have taken to planting in cemeteries (I LOVE CEMETERIES) and making my clues in riddles or poems.

The quest for more took me to atlasquest.com, my favorite site by far. I can track my finds - 318, my plants -49, hitchhikers, fleas and more. Letterboxing is so terrific - it's as cheap as you want to make it. A book to record your finds, your own stamp and a stamp pad.
When Tyler was 8 months old he planted his first book at Moss Lake near Inlet, NY

Each year we have planted a box in honor of Tyler's vacation with the GRANDS. Last year we visited the Cathedral Pines at Seventh Lake and this year we planted one just before we embarked on Tyler's first canoe trip down the Moose River.
If you are looking for a great family hobby, fun for all ages, check out letterboxing.

No comments: