Christine - Trained Doula

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Saturday Wanderings



February 19, so typical of any day in February, is blustery. In 24 hours we have seen it all, warm weather with snow banks diminishing, followed by rain with more disappearing snow, strong winds moved in with snow by Saturday morning and COLD. I DO NOT Like the cold but I LOVE the snow.
(Louisville, KY 2009 - ice storm paralyses the city)

In my attempt to eliminate chemicals from our everyday life and because I found my self getting a tad bit "stinky" at my last birth support (31 hospital hours) I set out on a mission to find a natural deodorant. The local healthy food stores brands were a bit pricey - $6-10 so decided to check on line where I also find an answer for everything.
Now a bit of Benson Family history. When Doug and I got married back in 1974, we were green before green was green. I made everything from scratch - no processed food for us, we canned and froze our garden bounty, bought beef from a friends farm. Those were the days when gas and oil were doing what they are today and we kept our house a bit cool and use a wood stove in the kitchen to keep us warm. In fact, we had to stop new chimney production on Sept 17 so I could have a baby.

This is like the beauty we had in our kitchen. My mom purchased it at an auction back in the early 60's to use in our summer home in Ohio. I still have it. We aren't using it now but hey some day who knows.

One of the "green" things we did was to switch to the use of baking soda as toothpaste and deodorant. Worked okay but the salty after taste and the gritty pits ......well, we got tired of it.

Today, thanks to the internet, I can research recipes and found one that I am trying - so if you want to know how it worked out, you will just have to tune in next Saturday and find out.

No comments: