Christine - Trained Doula

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Sunday evenings

What a nice way to end the week.



Listening to PBS with a program about WLS.  Started in 1924 - my farm raised mom was 4 at the time.  Since they didn't have electricity in the house until after 1926 I know she didn't listen to those first few years of broadcasting but after going through her belongings I know she spent her teen and young adult years listening to Bradley Kincaid and the National Barn Dance,  the beginning of American fold music. And yes, my ma yodeled and played a small folk acordion.

The national barn dance was finally canceled in 1960 
when radio embraced the new era of Rock and Roll. 

Prairie Farm WLS
Hay Loft Gang

This is the radio my brought to her new home in 1946 when she married my dad.  It held a very special place in the kitchen where my dad build a shelf in the corner so my mom could listen to her radio programs while doing her kitchen chores.  In later years I remember that radio taking up a place on her night stand. When sick as a child I would listen to WIBX and WRUN while recuperating in her bed. 



1892 - 1900 Canadian General Electric Company Limited becomes incorporated in
 Canada through a merger of Edison Light Electric Company and Thomson-Houston 
Electric Light Company of Canada. This radio was a model made from 1946-1947.

To this day, my family loves to listen to the Blue Grass Ramble every Sunday night.
I still have this radio and hope to one day get it working but for now it is in MY bedroom
on a book shelf that houses my stacks of journals and photo albums. 


No comments: