Christine - Trained Doula

Monday, February 25, 2013

Get Cooking!

Received my subscription of Cooking Light on Saturday.  When I stop to think about all the mail I get on Saturday - mag subscriptions, check from my flex plan, check from my work mileage - I certainly going to miss those Saturday deliveries come August.  But that is not the purpose of this entry.

Cooking Light (CL) presents a new goal each month.
January was - Veggie Up! which isn't hard for my family - exp. Tyler.   When he gets hungry he'll ask for a stalk of celery or some baby carrots,  an apple, orange or banana aren't far behind.

February was - Get Moving! - a bit more difficult in upstate NY in the winter.  Since I don't go to a gym and mall walking gets depressing and a bit boring, my exercise consists of what I can accomplish out doors -- biking, hiking, canoeing and my fav -- WALKING.

Today, I got back into my walking mode and hopefully I will keep it up.  Left work and started down Elizabeth Street to Columbia before my ride showed up.

March is - Get Cooking! and I am taking the challenge by doing the Monday, Wednesday, and Friday menu.

Today's dinner
Cheesy Penne with Broccoli which wasn't too bad although it needed just a bit more flavor.

8 oz. penne pasta
5 cups broccoli
1 1/3 cup milk
2 T flour
3 T parmesan cheese, divided, fresh
2 T. Cream Cheese
1 t. Dijon mustard
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1/8 t. freshly ground nutmeg
2.5 ounce grated Cheddar Cheese

Cook the pasta.
Drain reserving enough water to cook the broccoli

Make a roux sauce.  I used whole wheat and a bit of butter
Add 2 T. parmesan, 2 T cream Cheese, mustard, seasonings and cheese.

Place pasta, broccoli in a bowl,
Pour sauce over and toss to coat
Garnish with remaining parmesan.

I might have added more salt to the water.
More pepper and mustard.
I didn't measure the cheese because of space and time.

Needed another vegetable or a salad.

Wednesday  - Shrimp Linguine
Friday - Hoison Flounder






No comments: