Christine - Trained Doula

Thursday, May 2, 2013

5-year-old Kentucky boy fatally shoots 2-year-old sister

A tragedy to be sure. (From Leigh Remizowski, CNN updated 10:53 AM EDT, Thu May 2, 2013)
A young boy will forever know that he is responsible (no matter what adults will tell him) for the death of his sister.  WHY? because the child's rifle he received wasn't put out of reach from his hands until an adult could supervise his use of it.

I am not anti guns or rifles so don't be mislead.  My dad, who died when I was ten, had already taught me to shoot a 22 rifle.  And along with that teaching came the responsibility of my parents to make sure I wouldn't use it when they were around.


The man who taught me to shoot. 

So, how young IS too young to be responsible for a firearm? Well, you know that is up to the parents to decide based on maturity of the child but as a grandparent to a 4.5 yr. old, I can safely say, he isn't old enough.  Reality isn't a part of his "play".  He doesn't grasp what death is.  That it is permanent.  That it isn't a pretend game like he plays daily.


The woman who continued to allow me to shot that rifle 
and also to have a bow and arrow ( I later shot on my college's archery team).
She is my forever hero - a strong lady who raised her children as a single mom. 

So, parents, as you read this sad sad news story,  remember, to stow that unloaded firearm preferably locked because you never know what an adventurous child will do.  To much occupies our mind these days, the media is constantly on in most people houses, mom is doing house chores, kids are playing quietly and then ......

I still remember just how sharp my dad's hunting knife (kept in the glove compartment) was and that was 50 years ago.  My mom still doesn't know about that little bit of exploration.



Where it all started

No comments: