Christine - Trained Doula

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Saturday - Domestic Goddess Day


Beautiful sunny Saturdays always brings out the best in me. Sheets drying on the line, Soup bubbling on the stove, Soon to be baking pumpkin biscuits in the oven. This is the view that greet's me every morning. I love my maple tree, it holds its leaves longer than any of the others. It always made the best background for Christmas Family Photos.


I love gathering whatever is in the pantry and fridge and seeing what can be made. Today is no exception. Always on hand, besides typical staples, are celery, garlic, onions, potatoes - so there is no end to what I can create. Beginnings of a great meatloaf.
I also like to use up that last little bit of what ever so I can throw away the container. This morning it was that Krustez pancake mix that has been on the flour container near the stove since Kati and Tyler left in Sept. The men folk enjoyed delicious pancakes with REAL maple syrup. In the back of the cabinet above the fridge was a box, with just about 1 serving of cereal, that became my breakfast and there went another box. YES.
In between the chopping and cooking and boiling, I ran outside with more laundry. NOTHING is so satisfying as laundry hung on the line in its proper order. Got that obsession from my mom.
I will never forget how we would have these poles to hold the laundry off the ground and to let the wind blow easily through them. Laundry drying was such an art at our house: we had two lines under the back porch, one that ran from the porch to the maple tree (my favorite -cause it was on a pulley), and one that ran between to posts my dad put in along the back fence.
Finished the day with delicious baked macaroni and cheese with broccoli and homemade cookies for dessert. Debi, Jeanne, James and Douglas are playing pinochle.
And now I am relaxing with a cup of coffee, feet up and watching the Hallmark Channel. aaahhhhh

No comments: