Christine - Trained Doula

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Villonia in Barneveld


Today was my last out of the office flu clinic. In a way, I am glad they are over but I do enjoy visiting the different villages and towns. Today was one of my favorites - The Senior Center in Barneveld. Barneveld is such a typical new england like village with a lot of history. Plus, they have a very active senior group. I have always said when I retire this is the group I'm going to spend time with. Today they had several groups playing mah jong as well as Uno, Canasta and Pitch. I loved the close country community of the people there too.

After we were finished giving all our flu shots and the nurses had packed up to leave, I took the time to find out what this sign I saw coming in was all about.
Vallonia - notice that "n". carved backwards - a mistake?? and the shadow of what looks like a "1" underneath it.
It is said that this word was part of a motto on Gerrit Boon's barn.

This mill was built in the area where the Steuben and Cincinnati Creek come together and flow south to the West Canada Creek. Boon thought he could make a yearly business of producing Maple Syrup but his venture wasn't successful.

I would love to know what this motto was. If anyone has insight into this please email me.

No comments: