Christine - Trained Doula

Saturday, April 16, 2011

FUN at the AUD





Today was Build - a - Bike at the Utica Aud.  What an awesomely amazing program.  When I arrived at the Aud with my set up materials the line was already quite long.  Some of the children waited for 2 hours just for a CHANCE to get a bicycle.


Scattered around the arena were men and women dressed in bright green shirts fitting children first with a helmet and then with a bicycle.  There were even some bikers representing the "Ride for Missing Children" event that will be taking place once again later this year. 


By the time my group was ready to leave just about every bicycle had found a new home.  What a tremendous program that is now in its 6th year. Learn more here.

The reason I gave up my Saturday was to help out at the County Exhibits.  That and get some over time in.  I was amazed at how many local agencies that serve children showed up.  Scouts (see cool game below), various preschools, Cooperative Extension, Perinatal Network, OCHD was set up to inform people about adult vaccines and the hugely successful Lead Program, the Utica Zoo,and many others. 


Below is one of the games that the Boy Scouts had.  I love this version of the "fish pond".  Looks easy but was really quite challenging.  In fact, I am thinking of getting the men folk at church to make some of these fishes for our fishing derby. 

Find your fish


Entice it with your hook.

Now wait, fishermen need patience. 

Almost ......


Got it. Good job. 

No comments: