Christine - Trained Doula

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Awesome Weekend Workshop

I just spent the most awesome weekend with DONA doula trainer Pat Predmore. I have been providing labor support since the early 80's. I have taken training in the past, I have read voraciously since the 70's and I learned more this weekend that I can even recount. Good thing I took notes.

I came away feeling much more confident in what I can offer my parents before, during and after the birth of their child.

We learned how to use a rebozo - wonderful gift from our Mexican neighbors.

In some of my reading I have heard about women who while they are experiencing pain, are able to stay in control and on top of it. So many times we as humans learn to automatically do something in our everyday life but don't know perhaps why we do it. Like rocking or rubbing the palm of our hand. Today when Pat talked about the gate way and pain receptors it was like a light bulb went off. Of course, I new this from Anatomy Class but for some reason today was one of those AHA moments.


I love this photo because it shows how partners and doulas work so well together. With the partner whispering in the mom's ear sweet words of encouragement and the doula providing additional support using her hands to provide comfort --- what a team.

No comments: