Christine - Trained Doula

Saturday, March 23, 2013

An Afternoon of Dyeing part 1

A request from a customer finally got me to try my hand at dying bare wool.

Wool - Knit Picks bare wool - peruvian wool
Turquoise Acid Dye


First I watched several you tube videos just to get it right. 
Then the process of soaking the yarn in water and vinegar. 

 

Dye is mixed and yarn is ready. 


The start - my customer wanted a shaded or gradient color. 


I mixed my dye in two separate batches.  
The first was full strength of 1/8 t. in 2 oz water
The second was also full strength but I divided it up into 
3 bottles with different amounts so I had three different but 
lighter colors. 


After applying the dye to the wool and kneading it in it is wrapped in saran.


Folded over.


Folded up. 


Microwaved 
1st time - 2 minutes
waited for it to cool. 
2nd time - 1 minute
Let cool to room temp before removing saran. 
Let cool further so I can handle it for rinsing. 


Cooling 


The finished product


Drying in the winter sun.  The above photo probably gives
the best rendition of the variation of color.









I am pleased with my results.
I have found that one can use a myriad of dye stuffs and
I am all set to hit Big Lots and Hannaford's the day after
Easter to take advantage of all that egg dye.


All finished and ready to knit.  I started a medium soaker tonight.  

No comments: