Christine - Trained Doula

Friday, March 29, 2013

Dyeing Wool part 2

My attempt at hand dyeing my hank of yarn was quite satisfying so today I am going to do the same colorway but this time with a finished product.  This BETTER come out right.


gloves (didn't use them this time).  acid dye - already knitted soaker. 
(which wasn't the first one I used cause I got nervous - glad I did)


The pot for the water bath and the insert that the dye jar will set on. 


soaking the soaker in warm water. 




 Note - how the soaker lays on the top of the water.  That is because it is 
hydrophobic and doesn't absorb water easily. 


Another squeeze to work the water into the wool 


 You can see it is starting to sink into the water.


Entire soaker has been gently squeezed and kneaded to get all the wool wet.


Soak in bowl for about 30 minutes or until wool is thoroughly soaked.  
If any part of the wool isn't wet it will not take up the dye. 


Finished soaking and ready to remove it from bowl.  
Gently squeeze out the water being careful not to stretch the fabric. 


Glass Jar with 4 T. white vinegar, 3/8 t. dye and 4 cups of warm water. 
Garment is ready to dye.


Garment in dyeing jar that has been placed into water bath.  
Immerse one inch sections at a time.  

Dye for 5 minutes then add warm water (about 2 cups) mix 
Lower garment into dye jar. 
Continue until entire garment has been immersed. 
Remove from dye jar and rinse.

(for precise methodology go to Knit Picks tutorial as these are abbreviated instructions)


My first attempt is ok. The turquoise is darker than the photo and I don't have 
the gradient that I want.  So glad I did a test run before doing the garment 
I really need to do for an order. 

No comments: