Christine - Trained Doula

Saturday, November 29, 2014

Holy wholly tee shirts

With my ever growing pile of tee shirts I finally decided to make yarn.  Tee Shirt Yarn - it's all the rage and fits right in with my desire to use what I have.  I even found that old cotton sport socks make great family cloth when cut in half.

Callaloo Soup has a great tutorial on how to cut up a tee shirt to make a single ply of yarn.  Because I decided to try my new yarn on my twining loom I found that I didn't want any seams so I adjusted this method a bit. When twining I use an invisible join so it lays flat.

My strips were cut about 1 1/4" wide but I think the next time I will try a wider cut.

Calllaloo Soup used scissors but I found my rotary cutter much more practical and easier on my thumb.
when using tee shirt material make sure the warp is pulled tight.

No comments: