Christine - Trained Doula

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Doula Time


Attended my first meeting in Syracuse of the CNY Doula Connection. A wonderful gathering of 7 ladies, from 20 something to almost 60, who have a lot in common. I thought when I took the Doula Training before Tyler was born that I would continue to use my desire to bring positive birthing experiences to women. BUT, I didn't, until my friend Diane ask me to be a back up for her should she need one. After much prayer, I have come to the conclusion that now is the time to jump in with both feet and do what I have always dreamed of doing and what I believe God has called me to.
Since reading the book - Nurses Who Lead The Way - when I was in 5th grade I have had a vision of working with children and women. But over the years even though I thought I would pursue a career in nursing and even toured several schools for this, I ended up getting a degree in horticulture. Four children later, still dreaming of some day becoming a midwife, I came across a web page about Doulas while doing research for my daughter and her upcoming birth. That is when I realized that this is where I fit in. And so, I read and took notes and eventually attended a training weekend for doulas and felt quite prepared when the time came for my 1st grandchild to be born. I was and will tell you that until you become a grandmother, you won't get it.
There is nothing like a grand child, nothing. In fact, every grandmother should have the chance to experience the birth of their grandchild. Tyler was blessed because in addition to his dad and myself, his paternal Grandmother was there. I sometimes wonder how women ever birth by themselves. While I "played" the doula, Mimi fanned Katie for hours because she was HOT and never said a word. She was wonderful and without her support I don't know what I would have done.

1 comment:

YarnKat said...

Wow, thanks for sharing! I guess I had never been around when you talked about this and your dreams and plans for the future. Quite awesome indeed!

I will be praying for you and know that He will bless you for your desire to help and comfort and wanting to be a part of that special time in every woman's life!